Jonah Romero HAWAII

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Jonah Romero HAWAII

Postby doclach » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:11 pm

The Romero's are notorious for their riding ability in their Hawaiian waters. Young in their days, but with a lot more to come in the future. Blood is thicker than water - and these lads froth in the water.

Bringing on Jonah Romero:

Doc: Hey Jonah, where you from in Hawaii and what are your local waters these days?

Jonah: I live on the island of Maui and i'm from a small town named waiehu. Although nowadays i'm staying on Oahu testing the waters of this powerful crowded island....The local waters on Maui have been slow with a lot of tradewind swell...although it did completely FIRE a few weeks ago.

Doc: You’re crackin’ both styles – prone and DK – what % of each do you reckon you ride?

Jonah: I'd say 90% prone 7.5%DK and 2.5% freestyle

Doc: What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your current faves?

Jonah: I used to be on the 39.5 NO.6 Sting...but recently i've been futting around with some customs to try and get the tweaks right for my signature model that comes out in June 09 called THE RIZZ.

Doc: What dimensions and core compositions are you finding hot for your riding at the moment.
And how about accessories – leash, fins and wetsuits?

Jonah: I'd say for the moment cause we're still having some north swells a 38.5 batail board with 50/50 rails and polypro core would do, and during the summer take it up an inch as the waves tend to be a lil more timid here on Maui.
I rock the NO.6 Vice that Binds for my leash, Pod2 fins and i usually roll out with a long-arm spring.

Doc: D.O.B height and weight?

Jonah: I was born May 6, 1987 and i'm 5' 7" 135 lbs.

Doc: Fave breaks – local and overseas?

Jonah: local: churchez, north side towards the harbor, K-Harbor, pakuz, OTW, Keiki, hp. Cloud 9

Doc: What would be the biggest wave you’ve taken on?

Jonah: idk probably this winter at Backdoor, or at north side's.

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave you’ve ridden?

Jonah: North Side and Pipe

Doc: Can you give us an indepth description of what it is like to ride Pipeline when it is cranking? tell the whole story from take-off to finish.

Jonah: Well first of all when u sit on shore at 6 in the morning barely light out and becuse it's the dead of winter it's already crowded, but for the chance you'll get that one wave you get over it and paddle out anyway....once u make it through the 100's of people u sit and wait and wait and wait....then u finally get that one and u look down the line and maybe give a friendly hoot to the guy trying to cut u off..then it's all sexy after that u either shoot for the barrel or hit it. it's un-explainable really.

Doc: Do you have a crew you hang with in the water?[/i]

Jonah: ya the Maui boys: Kona, King, Fern, Marcus, my bros, landlord, viso,...rexxus, Reis, colin, the twins, the heights crew, the boogie nation boys, the FBI guys, drew erichson, Rob mack, T-brandli, team madrid.

Doc: Your brother Jacob has done an interview for us here as well, what is like to ride with? When you bash each other up who always wins??(haha - that's a joke mate, always good to have a fun answer)

Jonah: It's a BLAST i usually ride with him and my oldest brother Josh and it's just so much fun cause it becomes a family thing as well....but don't get me wrong it's defenetley "competetive family bonding haha....and me we've have had a few scuffles and of course they'd always win when we were kids because i was a lot smaller.....but nowadays it's safe to say i ain't the smallest brother anymore and they know it and they know better than to wake up this sleeping giant hahaha.

Doc: Best boat trip?

Jonah: never been on one....but i guess The phillippines counts cause u gotta take a gangster 5 hr. boat ride to the spot.

Doc: Who are some of your fave photogs?

Jonah: Uncle Danny Black, Ryan Beppu, Mo Aubuchon, Brian "PEZ" Pezman,Tim Jones, Happy Z, M-BAS, Shea Sevilla, Albo, Tom Prince.

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

Jonah: I started off with a costco 42.5 with the fattest rocker ever....but the first actual legit bodyboard i bought was a 38 IND Kainoa McGee that board was a thing was gangster! I also rode a pretty sick old school BSD for a while that was waaaaay to big for me haha...then i made the transition to bat tails picking up a hubb 39 and a skipp 39.....and now i currently rock the NO.6 line I usually ride the Sting model but the guys there are gonna be nice enough to let me shape my own model so i imagine i'll be riding The RIZZ in the near future.

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

Jonah: Last year late season I was surfing OTW on an incoming swell, it got too big so i paddled over to Backdoor...I took off on this thick juicy one that everyone let go but didn't realize y....I dropped down and saw it sectioning so i went up to hit it and as i got closer to the lip i realized it was a double up but the kind of double up that the top lip breaks first. DRAMA....so i pulled a rookie move and tried to outrun it, the lip broke on my back, tore off both of my fins and threw me like 10ft in the air I was so sure I was gonna hit the reef absolutely no doubt...to my relief i didn't it wasnt a long wave but i can honestly say it was the longest ride of my life.

Doc: I remember Chuck White telling a few fun stories about what a joker you are - crackin' da boys up with your antics like doing body-builder muscle flexes in front of the judges etc., what is the best joke you've played on one of your mates?

Jonah: well u know it always helps to do whatever it takes to get that extra few points at any cost haha nah well idk there's so many stories haha well we were surfing seal beach one day practicing for a comp and everyone was being a bit too serious so while waiting for the next set from about 50ft away i swam under water and yanked Warren Anderson off his board he absolutely FREAKED he kinda yelled and swam away flailing with uncertainty haha he said he didnt know whether to start punching at me cause i was a shark or swim away cuz i was a seal haha it was pretty hillarious...i just like to try and keep the mood fun especially in the water.

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

Jonah: The bond that all the riders have...it really doesn't matter where you're from Hawaii, Cali, East Coast, Mexico, Australia, Japan, Brazil or anywhere in the world because it's such a small sport nobody's really in it for the money so u know when u paddle out and see a bodyboarder u know he's out there for the pure love of the sport and the ocean.

Doc: What do you reckon BB needs most at the moment?

Jonah: Positivity towards growth.

Doc: Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

Jonah: To all the people who didn't support the super ferry even when times got hard we never gave in to it's "cheap" & "convenience" and in the end WE WON! To all the subways of Hawaii get on the all footlongs for $5 program haha, Thanks to my roommates for putting up with me, Team Madrid extended familia!, The Erichsons up in San Clemente, Rob Dyrdek is an absolute genius! God Bless.

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?
Jesus Christ,
No.6 bodyboards,
Hi-Tech surf sports,
Maui Thing clothing,
Da Secret Sauce,
Boogie nation extended family, and
Ambitious Faith.

1. Rider: Jonah Romero Photograph by Shea Sevilla

2. Rider: Jonah Romero Photograph by Matt Ryan (Forum member – yew!)

3. Rider: Jonah Romero Photograph by Pez

4. Rider: Jonah Romero Photograph by Pez

5. Rider: Jonah Romero Photograph by Larrin Wada

6. For the ladies viewing

7. Reppin’ #6 on da skin
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Jonah Romero HAWAII

Postby doclach » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Congrats to Jonah on getting an interview and sick 360 revo shot at Backdoor (by Happy Z) in the latest Bodyboarder mag (9.3). Tough year for J-Rizz last year and he has come out on top. Stoked for ya man :mrgreen:
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Jonah Romero HAWAII

Postby Griff » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:21 am

Ebodyboarding says he is now riding for Empire boards even though No6 only just released his signature board in the US and Hawaii. Its a pretty interesting looking board too!
Griff
Destroying Slabs like Winny

Return to Internationals