Geraldine Gogin PERU

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Geraldine Gogin PERU

Postby doclach » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm

For anyone that has any doubts if women riders can go the distance, please meet Geraldine and get ready for any narrow views of our Women riders to be turned upside down. With facial reconstruction from a run-in with the reef in Indo to a reputation for taking on bigger and tougher waves than a lot of her male counterparts, Geraldine still says in one of the many e-mails it takes to sort these interviews out: "...I have been lucky with some waves, and I have been able to catch them...but usually, I'm a wussy."

I beg to differ!! Please meet Ms Geraldine Gogin:

Doc: Hey Geraldine, where are you from in Peru and what are your local
waters these days?

GG: From Lima. Some beachies in the south and north of Lima.

Doc:
What do you see as the difference in style between men and women riders?

G.G: I think is basically is in strength, guys are stronger, so, they are able to hold their lines better in bigger waves, and paddle harder to get in the waves. About style, I believe men and women can have good or bad style. 

Doc: How do you find the acceptance of women riders by the male riders?

G.G:
Usually I find that really good riders are the ones more willing to give waves, good advice and accept you. Is lame to find, a male rider that believes he kill it and don’t respect girls, but also women that take advantage of their position.

Doc: How did you start to travel, how long you have been doing it and where you have been?

GG: I won a ticket in a raffle to go to Tavarua Island, after that I travel for 9 years. I have been most of the time in between Indo, Hawaii and Mexico.

Doc:
What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your
 current faves?

G.G: Now i have one bb a custom made bb BSD, crescent tail,
Extruded PP core, deck PE, with one stringer, 60/40, channels, crescent tail with 1 1/2 of tail block, 40 inches length, 20 3/4 of wide point, nose to wide point 15 inches, tail 17 1/4, thickness 2 1/4, deck color blue, rail color red.

Doc: Fave breaks – local and overseas?

G.G: In Hawaii, I love pipe. In Indonesia, I have some of my best sessions at HS and super sucks. And in Mexico, Puerto. In Peru, there are a couple of sick and heavy bb waves around. 

Doc: Where has been the biggest barrel you ever taken off?

G.G:
At pipe the winter of 2006, only 4 people out there, was crazy! I couldn’t sleep that night… and at Puerto, I got scare because I kind of airdrop a little in a solid one and I barely made it. I’m not good at telling a size.

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave you’ve hit up?

G.G: Pipe always blows my mind; you never get bored over there… and Puerto Escondido, so much water moving, scary. But around, I always find waves that give me a hard time.

Doc: Do you have a crew you hang with in the water?

G.G:
I hang with who I like and is nice, and easy going.

Doc:
What’s the maddest road trip you’ve been on?

G.G: Travelling to Mentawais by land.

Doc: Best boat trip?

G.G: Probably this same mentawais trip had some fisherman boat time, and was great, and tiring at the same time. I really haven’t travel in a fancy charter.

Doc:
Who are some of your fave photogs?

G.G: Is hard, I think anyone that doesn’t believe that you are wasting his time, his film and has a good timing. Danny Black, was always super nice to me. I have special appreciation to Tim Jones, Scott Aicher and Dave –Nelly- because apart from be good photographers they are good massage clients.

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

G.G: I remember the most a toobs, ryan hardy model and a town and country custom made that was perfect for me with this one I got some of my best barrels.

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

G.G: I hit my face at speedies, and I had a reconstructive surgery, after I couldn’t do anything. And maybe when the waves are getting bigger with current, and I’m tired…I don’t like that combo.

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

G.G: I love to travel around and find some old friend in some place with fun and good waves.

Doc: What do you reckon BB needs most at the moment?

G.G: Maybe, exposure to the correct athletes, there are some insane bb that don’t receive so much support, but in the other hand some other ones that give a bad name to the sport and have a total support. 

Doc: What are you doing these days?

G.G: I’m a masseuse, also im learning some courses to improve my techniques in massages, selling aromatherapy products, and always doing some sport everyday.

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?

G.G: Hum! I preferred to say that there are some nice friends giving me a hand in the way they can, like independent bodyboards and kapaloa fins (jose luis and mutant), max from billabong, and canle with pod. Thanks to them and always to my family.

1. Rider: Geraldine Gogin Photographer: Unknown

2. Rider: Geraldine Gogin Photgrapher: Pina

3. Rider: Geraldine Gogin Photographer: Unknown

4. Rider: Geraldine Gogin Photographer: Miguel

5. Rider: Geraldine Gogin photographer: Sean Davey

6. Rider: Geraldine Gogin Photographer: Tim

7. Rider: Geraldine Gogin Photographer: Unknown
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Geraldine Gogin PERU

Postby Karleah » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:00 am

Yew! Some nice shots of solid waves there!
Karleah
Spin-to-win King

Postby Dee » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Nice interview Doc its good to see some girls chargin...... :D :D
Dee
Rawlins Invert Apprentice

Postby Conjob v1.1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:50 pm

solid 8)
"Surfings for fags, who dont know how to belly board, or skim." - John Cardiel
Conjob v1.1

Postby Danny Black » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Geraldine has lived off and on in Hawaii for many years. One of the few women who would paddle out on BIG days at Pipe. Da boys even respected her enough to let her catch some set waves! If you knew the culture in the Pipe lineup you would understand that's huge. She got one mag water shot that has her taking off on an big a-frame and being able to see all the way through it. She should post that here.
Last edited by Danny Black on Fri May 22, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Black
Backflippin' like BP

Postby doclach » Thu May 21, 2009 10:29 am

Danny Black wrote:Geraldine has lived of and on in Hawaii for many years. One of the few women who would paddle out on BIG days at Pipe. Da boys even respected her enough to catch some set waves! If you knew the culture in the Pipe lineup you would understand that's huge. She got one mag water shot that has per taking off on an big a-frame and being able to see all the way through it. She should post that here.

Thanks so much Danny - you must have an amazing memory mate (considering the incredible amount of photos you must see), as the photo wasn't even credited with Geraldine's name! (who is the one referred to in the photo fine print when it says "This girl charges...." such a strong rep behind this woman BB'er)

It took a bit of hunting by Geraldine (thanks Geraldine), but here it is. the picture appeared in the American "Options" magazine.

Rider: Geraldine Gogin Photographer: Hank Courtesy: Options Magazine
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach

Postby pete » Thu May 21, 2009 12:27 pm

They are some fantastic shots. Absolutely charging
pete
Mastering Mutant, Ledging Bombies

Postby Danny Black » Thu May 21, 2009 1:39 pm

That is the photo I was thinking of. Classic!! The small photo of the chick reclining is one of mine!!

Here's a photo I took of her at BIG Pipe a few years ago. Besides being an epic wahine bodyboarder, she's also a really good person.
By dannywblack at 2009-05-20
Danny Black
Backflippin' like BP

Postby Dee » Thu May 21, 2009 1:43 pm

nice pics danny I always luv to see the girls charging bring on more pics :D :D
Dee
Rawlins Invert Apprentice

Postby santilibresiempre » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:11 am

I saw her in Hawaii. Later, in Mentawais, we arrived to this solid wave, and there was a bodyboarder getting barrels alone. We got surprise to realise was a chick. After, we took her back to her tent, living only with local people in that island. When we came back from the south, she gave a massage to one of the guys in the charter, and she was quite good. Humble and funny girl. Is good to see pictures of her. Im sure she has more than one story to tell. Santi
santilibresiempre
Bus Driver

Postby doclach » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Surf Rat
doclach

Postby kc_bodyboard » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:43 pm

man she charges, but for a world class rider(is that right, hard to tell from interview) youd atleast expect to be able to reverse a bit better than that, even if it is her opposite way.
Canon 50D, 100-400 L, 50 1.8, Tokina 10-17
www.CaseyRipperPhoto.tumblr.com
Facebook page
kc_bodyboard
Mastering Mutant, Ledging Bombies

Return to Internationals