Keila Grodzen U.S.A

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Keila Grodzen U.S.A

Postby doclach » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:05 am

As we progress with introducing international riders, it's a big aim to bring you as many women riders as we can. the first of our U.S.A ladies is Keila Grodzen. Keila and her booger husband Joe Grodzen have a website http://www.zenfilmz.com/ that has vids, pics and a section on Keila in it, all sorts of interesting BB stuff, go visit if you get the chance.

Doc: Hey Keila, where are you from in the U.S and where do you ride these days?

KG: I am from Puerto Rico and currently live in southern California. My home spot is Salt Creek & Wedge

Doc: What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your current faves?

KG: I ride a Madrid board!! My favorite board for wedges and shorebreaks.

Doc: What dimensions and core compositions are you finding hot for your riding at the moment?

KG: I use a 39 inch board bat tail with channels polypro custom designs by PMA a great shaper!

Doc: And how about accessories – leash, fins and wetsuits?

KG: Bullys bicep leash, Kpaloa fins

Doc: What % mix of prone and DK do you ride?

KG: 95% prone 5% DK

Doc: Your height?

KG: 5'3

Doc: Fave breaks – local and overseas?

KG: Local Salt Creek Gravels, in Puerto Rico Mingos wedge, in Hawaii Pipeline and Mexico Punta Colorada.

Doc: What would be the biggest wave you’ve taken on?

KG: Puerto Escondido Mexico

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave you’ve ridden?

KG: Pipeline and Teahupoo

Doc: Do you have a crew you hang with in the water?

KG: Joe Grodzen, Scotty Carter, Lisah, Henry Long, and lots of bodyboarders girls in California.

Doc: Do you travel much with other women riders?

KG: Not too much but I would love too. I do get to see the international women's riders every year in hawaii so that helps me see whats going on. I travel with my husband pro bodyboarder Joe Grodzen.

Doc: How do you find life in the water with the boys - do you find you get respect out there as a woman rider?

KG: Yes I get respect, it was hard to get to that point but they know I will go and pull in!!! Bodyboarders respect women in the water but some of the surfers get bummed at us.

Doc: Best boat trip?

KG: Tahiti

Doc: Any magazine pics or features?

KG: Bodyboarding magazine, Crysis Bodyboard mag and http://www.zenfilmz.com

Doc: Who are some of your fave photogs?

KG: Scott Carter, Joe Grodzen, and me. I have some pictures published in Crysis Bodyboard mag.

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

KG: I started with a BZ stinger. Neon colors when I was 13 years old. Then bought a Mike Stewart C40. I won a contest in Puerto Rico and got a Tamega Wave Rebel that I loved. I got my first board sponsor BSD and compete in Pipeline for the first time 1999. Move to California got sponsor by Cartel Bodyboards, ride for them for 4 years, then got sponsor by Vortex custom bodyboards worked directly with the shaper and now I ride for Madrid Bodyboards.

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

KG: I dislocated my shoulder at Pipeline on a closeout! Also got held down at a spot in Moorea, lost my board and fins in the middle of the ocean, a little scary but I had my friends help me out.

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

KG: Everything, the ocean, the barrels bodyboarders can get deeper, new moves and the friends I have around the world that love the sport like I do.

Doc: What do you reckon BB needs most at the moment?

KG: Support of big companies. and more contest in challenging waves like the Tahiti skins at Teahupoo, that contest was sick and the whole world got to see the talented bodyboarders riding big barrels. Also sponsors in the USA for riders in the USA and big contest like the USA open and our World Bodyboarding Games!!!

Doc: What do you reckon Women's BB needs most at the moment?

KG: Media, Sponsors and more contest.

Doc: Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

KG: Joe, my family and friends in Puerto Rico and Cali and the crew of bodyboarder girls that I surfed with them everyday, and thank riptide forum for the interview.

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?

KG: Madrid Bodyboards, Alternative Surf bodyboard shop, http://www.zenfilmz.com, Soleo organic sunblock, Ambitious Faith, Bullys and Ghetto Boyz.

Thanks so much for your time Keila

1. Rider: Keila Grodzen Photographer: Joe Grodzen

2. Rider: Keila Grodzen Photographer: Joe Grodzen - Zen Filmz

3. Rider: Keila Grodzen Photographer: Joe Grodzen

4. Rider: Keila Grodzen Photographer: Joe Grodzen

5. Keila Grodzen Photo: Scotty Carter
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Keila Grodzen U.S.A

Postby doclach » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Joe and Keila have a GoPro HD and are putting some sweet footage together. the following features some sweet sections with Joe on the knee http://vimeo.com/8492934
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Keila Grodzen U.S.A

Postby Boricua » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 am

Yiuuuuu, Congrats Keila

We are proud of you!!!
Welcome, Always @ www.tubasos.com

Boricua
Spin-to-win King

Return to Internationals