Manny Vargas U.S

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Manny Vargas U.S

Postby doclach » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:46 am

Whenever I think of Manny, an old expression from the music world always comes to mind when they say so and so is one of the "Badboys of Rock'n'Roll".... it's the world of booger i know, but however that translates to our world, it fits Manny like a glove really. Great bloke, bloody funny and a mad bugger at the same time, there is a lot more about Manny than turns up in this interview - but ya have to start somewhere aye.
Please welcome one of BB's characters Manny Vargas:

Doc: Hey Manny, where you from in the U.S and what are your local waters
these days?

MV: Doc, thanks for this opportunity brotha. Oright... here we go! I'm from the armpit of America. A little town called Imperial Beach, California taught me everything that I had to learn. Respect for life. Of all the places I've bodyboarded IB has drilled me the worst! And unfortunately as a young gun in this border town with Mexico, I saw my share of agony. I saw a couple illegal aliens wash up on the shore dead after trying to battle the Tijuana River. They're just looking for a better life... a life that most Americans take for granted. IB is a cool little town. If you decide to visit don't act like you own it, or you will be put in your place by guys like Jim, PC and others.

Doc: How much are you riding Prone and how much DK?

MV: Prone is save for big shorey or waves that I can't get up DK. And every other wave I'm on the knee.

Doc: What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your
current faves?

MV: I'm currently riding for No. 6 boards. My good friend Mark Dale is running the ship over at No. 6 and after a few emails and phone calls we set up a contract and back on the payroll! I've just finished collaborating the dimensions for my board model dubbed EL FUEGO DE LA VIDA. 43 inch DK machines! Mark incorporated the sick graphics the SIX is known for and add some latino flavor to the surlyn artwork which was beautifully crafted by R.E.

Doc: What dimensions and core compositions are you finding hot for your
riding at the moment?

MV: Dimensions, cores and all the other details that go into boards that I ride are special for me. And that goes the same I'm sure for everyone else. But if you want a serious DK board in your arsenal I suggest taking one of these off the rack and give it a whirl. I think you'll feel the difference.

Doc: And how about accessories – leash, fins and wetsuits?

MV: I've got a box of my Snax leashes left from years back. This is a hot commodity. The construction of these leashes are solid and I have yet to have one break on me. That's how I'm able to hold on to 'em.

Fins... Hydro Tech fins are what my feet have become accustomed to. But Fred over at Viper has supported every venture and projects that I have put together so I have to give him props.

Wetsuits... No Friends has been putting out some sick wetties but you'll rarely see me wearing a full unless the water drops below 62 degrees F.

Doc: D.O.B height and weight?

MV: December 3, 1971 is when another Mexican baby entered the world. Now, I'm 200 pounds of pure marinated carne!

Doc: You’ve been to so many breaks around the surfing world – what would
be a couple of your faves?

MV: Man... there's so many awesome breaks that I've ridden but here are a few of my favorites: IB, Off The Wall, Lakey Peak (rights), Shipwrecks on Nusa Lembongan, El Oyo, Lovers 2008 (Cabo), Lacerations, did I say Off The Wall? Oh wait... Iluka in Oz was cool. Not only the waves but the people. Met a couple cool girls there and my friend Luiz Tauzon and I cruised to their house only to have them smoke all our pot! It was crazy! We couldn't believe how much they smoked so we let them smoke as much as they wanted from our stash! Good times.

Doc: What would be the biggest wave you’ve taken on?

MV: I love this question. It short circuits my mind. 'Cuz I know some of the waves that I had when I was younger felt massive but when I look back they were big for me then. So I would have to say most recently it'd have to be Waimea Shorebreak 1993, maybe? But then there was Todos Santos back in my Toobs days. Buzz over at Toobs, I think in the early 90's, shaped me a sick custom board and I took it out to Todos Santos for the first ride. I think it was like 10-12 foot Hawaiian. I didn't wear a leash. I know, stupid. But on my third ride, I didn't make it around the inside boil and lost my board as I was ducking under. I swam up onto the rocks then climbed up on the cliff and got up onto the flat land to look for my board. I looked for about an hour and gave up. So somewhere someone scored!

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave to ride?

MV: The toughest, huh? Backdoor for sure. If you make the drop... wait, if you're able to catch a wave then make the drop, you could have the best wave of your life. But then if you're paddling out as a set rolls in, you might as well stab your self because there's nowhere to hide! Same goes for Puerto Escondido main break.

Doc: Do you have a main crew you hang with in the water?

MV: I usually just see the IB boys in the water that I ride with. Paul Corona, Omar Leon, Jeff Bragg, Kookie, Ho, Adrian Munoz, Kevin Smithey and a couple Mexican riders that now live in San Diego. I can't wait to set up a photo trip with the boys. I want to get Roach, Skipp and other for a photoshoot to Mexico!

Doc: You’ve started organising some pretty insane travel stuff though FFAT
Trips – tell us all about FFAT Manny!!

MV: FFAT (Freak Fest Adventure Tours) starting way before I took it under my belt. Cameron Steele, former pro bodyboarder from the late 80's, ran the bodyboard magazine PIT. He organized the very first Cabo Freak Fest. It had to be one of the coolest trips ever! Think about it... you have top pros hanging with other non-pro bodyboarders all partying and riding for a week straight in a costal town where the drinking age is 14 and girls from all over America come to... well, party. Throw in warm water, barrels, perfect lighting and you've got the making of FREAK FEST. He moved on and after three years of madness, Cabo Freak Fest stood still. So after my job ending at BodyBoarding Magazine, I called up Cameron and asked if I could start up Cabo Freak Fest again. He said, go for it. So in 2003, Cabo Freak Fest was ressurected. Needless to say, it was off the chains! After a couple years, I started http://www.theIndoExperience.com. This was more of a bodyboard 'til you drop trip as opposed to the party, ride, repeat mentality of Cabo Freak Fest. I kept true to the Freak Fest tradition and added Costa Rica Freak Fest and Euro Freak Fest to the list. Both are successfull but I wanted to concentrate on Cabo Freak Fest in 2010. This is the year that marked the 25th anniversary when the first pro bodyboarders landed in Cabo. Cameron Steele along with myself were part of that original trip. So in commemoration to the 25th Year Anniversary Cameron Steele, myself, Paul Roach, Pat Caldwell and many other are returning to Cabo on August 8th for the trip of a life time! Please check out the http://www.FFAT.biz site for all the details and hit me up if you have any questions. Oh yeah... http://www.theIndoExperience.com is legit too!

Doc: How much do you intend arranging more BB destination trips through FFAT?

MV: I would like to keep adding to the Freak Fest list. We are planning Puerto Rico in 2011 and would loooooooooooooove to get Freak Fest Oz on the list. But finding a destination that can accomodate 100 crazy bodyboarders for a week is going to be tough, right?

Doc: Can you tell us about a few more obscure breaks you’ve found on your travels through the countries lesser-known as Bodyboarding
destinations – are they worth going all that way? (for the doubters haha)

MV: Mexico and all of South America is still the new frontier. I've have had many sessions with friends on Mainland Mexico with no one to be seen for miles and days! It's insane. Now with Google Earth, there are no more secret spots. It's just a matter of packing those bags, taking time off of work and getting your ass out there. Life's short people. Do something with it.

Doc: What’s the maddest trip you’ve been on? (this will be an interesting answer coming from YOU Manny…hahaha )

MV: Oh man... you know I can't talk about that! I'm married and so are my friends! Hahahaha. Nah, the most memorable trip had to be when I was riding for Toobs. I want to say 1993 or 96. We had Mez on the island shaping custom boards for us in Honolulu, we had a pimp house right across the street from Sunset Beach, I was living with my friends and fellow team riders Paul Roach, Ross McBride, Kyle Maligro and many other world riders for Toobs. I caught some guys trying to steal our boards from our front yard. We had a long dirt drive way that led to the front door. And off to the side of the front door steps there were all of our boards... something like 30 sick Toobs boards right outside! I was walking home from a party or something and I saw some people doing something right in front of our house. I was about two houses down so I snuck around the yards and crept up to the bush that was lining our driveway. I saw what they were doing. I was drunk so I didn't give a crap and jump out of the bushes and said, "what the f*ck are you guys doing?!" I looked at one of the guys and it was someone that I met at Off The Wall just a couple days prior. I looked at him and said, "What are you doin man? I could easily call the cops. I have your license plate and I know what you look like but I won't cuz you were cool out in the water. So let's make this easy. Put all the boards back and go home." And they did! They had about 10 boards already in the car. I took the last five and carried 'em back to the front door. And they drove off. But I had a weird feeling. So instead of going inside the house, I laid down behind the bush again. Remember, I was smashed! I laid down quietly for about 45 minutes and then... yup, those mother f*ckers showed up again! I waited and waited until they got right in front of me and I jumped out screaming and yelled, "didn't I tell you guys to go home?! Go home man. It's over!" I could only image what was going thier minds when a crazy drunk Mexican came flying out at them screaming! Hahahaha... good times!

Doc: Best boat trip?

MV: No boat trips for me. I get sea sick. I know, I know... I almost got sea sick on my frickin' bodyboard once! I know, I know... I'm gay.

Doc: Who are some of your fave photogs?

MV: All bodyboarders that turn photographers are my favorite. Why? Cuz they are the best in the water. Plain and simple. Growing up with Jeff Flindt and working when we had to work and partying when we finished work was cool. We were on the same page when it came to that. One of the most down to earth and innovated photographers was Chris Van Lennep. He was doing things what others didn't. Props. Then there was the first professional photographer that I ever worked with. If it wasn't for his boot-camp-style photo trip, I don't think I would have understood how everything works. Aaron Lloyd taught me a great deal probably without him even knowing. I want to mention a few others that have helped me out through the years: Tyler Moriarty, Joseph Libby, Chris Dyball, Hank, Aaron Chang, Brian Bielman and Tom Boyle. I'm sure I missed a few. So a shout out to them.

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

MV:Damn... well, all custom boards from Mez are on the top of the list. Then all the customs from Buzz at Toobs. But as for stock... it'd have to be the Buzz Board from Toobs. That was all time. But that one Turbo board that Stewart rode with a vinyl deck was sick too. Chris Wellington made me a couple sickies too. And how can I almost forget the Mixelplix! That was a cool shape. It was my T&C board model. Two tone madness! Hahahaha.

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

MV: Damn... 1993 or 97, the Toobs house days, on the North Shore. I remember jogging and riding bike before that winter season. I was getting in shape for that winter. I was going to spend three months there and I told myself, if Waimea Shorebreak cranks I'm going to be on it! All the photos of Pat Caldwell, Matt Allen, Seamus Mercado and Time Jones got me all wound up! Well, it was New Year's day and I was at a house at Waimea Bay partying all night with the boys. That was the night Nugget punched a surfer in the face after the guy said something about bodyboarders being gay or something. Well, we raged until 3 or 4am and I got the call at 530am from one of the boys... the shorey is breaking! I roll out of bed and head down to the bay from our Sunset house. It was what I was training for! Perfect Waimea Shorebreak! Now, the scary part. It was me and about five crazy South Africans that were picking off the big ones. And of the five bombs that I got, three of them I had to do the leash crawl to the surface. Leash crawl you ask? It's when you have to use your leash to pull yourself to get air! Even though it was massive out there, I never hit bottom. Instead I kept getting rolled around in the foamy. It was scary but I went back for more and yes... I slept like a baby that night! Hahaha.

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

MV: I love the fact that you can go up to any top pro and talk to 'em. Grant it, you're going to get a couple ego gaylords but for the most part we are all approachable. And with that, our BB community is tight and good times abound!

Doc: What do you reckon BB needs most at the moment?

MV: We need to prove to ourselves that we are worthy of having these big name clothing companies write the big checks to guys like Hardy, Kingy, Hubby guys, Skippy and Dubb. I get mad when I see American bodyboarders wearing Volcom, Hurley, Billabong.. all the companies that don't put a dime back into our sport. Sure there really isn't many bodyboard clothing companies, with the expecting of NF and others, but they are not on the same financial level as Quiksilver and other. We need to paint the picture to these companies and show them that we are a viable commodity in the 'surfing' industry. No one has yet to do this. We're bodyboarders. We just want to ride. But has to be a time to lay it down and say, we are worthy. We have worth.

Doc: Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

MV: My parents have been supportive from day one. My wife Mailei has been there for me as well. But a definite shout out to all those that have touched me, not like that, but in the way that makes me feel proud and stoked to be a bodyboarder, sponger, boogie boarder... whatever man. I'm having fun riding waves on a piece of foam water craft that some crazy man named Tom Morey invented. So a shout out to my fellow bodyboarders. Keep riding and if you're having fun, then we're all good.

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?

MV: No.6 bodyboards. Hey, just so everyone knows, I have a LIVE bodyboard show every other Tuesday on http://www.bodyboardinglive.com. I broadcast news, entertainment and we giveaway stuff. We have guest riders and it's just fun. Come watch and join us for a beer and bodyboarding. I'm out. (Note from Doc - broadcast time here in Oz for bodyboarding LIVE is 2pm Wednesday arvo's - other world times are in the site intro on the 'tv' screen)

Thanks so much for your time Manny

Manny is currently in Bali, so doesn't have his harddrive pics with him. He has sent through some site grabs in the meantime, with the promise of some riding shots in the near future - I'll bang them up as soon as they're in.... maybe some 'lifestyle' ones too..... 8)

Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Manny Vargas U.S

Postby doclach » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:09 am

....... and sometimes a "little birdy" sends a gift - in this case a very sweet picture of Mr. Vargas.... complete with story, from 'somewhere' in the U.S, which goes like this:

Dragged in unconscious from a cement porch, little Manny was made all comfy in the kids room on the pull-out bed. Originally Manny was asleep in the car, however a combination of beer and Mexican food became a semi-lethal mix of human gas emissions and he baled from the car to the porch before his nasal passages melted. Lights out from there and he was dragged in. Not visible in the pic is Ross McBride (still in the fume-filled car).
Visible and in attendance to Manny's every need in his coma is Nelz Vellocido.

haha - Manny is gonna spewwwww when he sees this!

Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach

Postby ATV » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:28 pm

MFM is the man bring on freakfest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ATV
Shockie Jockey

Postby aboard2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm

nice inter view

umm just wonder doc are you the guy that me and my mate met on those little reefies at bronte about a month or two back and u told us to get on this forum haha??
aboard2
Backflippin' like BP

Postby miiichael » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:44 pm

aboard2 wrote:nice inter view

umm just wonder doc are you the guy that me and my mate met on those little reefies at bronte about a month or two back and u told us to get on this forum haha??

did he look like chopper reid?
miiichael
Mastering Mutant, Ledging Bombies

Postby aboard2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 pm

ummm he was bald no moustache haha
aboard2
Backflippin' like BP

Postby miiichael » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:25 pm

yea thats doc :D
miiichael
Mastering Mutant, Ledging Bombies

Postby doclach » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:50 pm

aboard2 wrote:nice inter view

g'day aboard2. cheers for that.
apol's for the slow reply, i was down the south coast sneaking a reef.

yer, like Miiichael said, same bloke. the "Chopper" reference (for o'seas readers) is about every november Australia has a fundraiser for Prostate Cancer called "Movember" and a few BB'ers got together and grew mo's.
I did one for a laugh that made me look a bit like an underworld figure here called Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read, whom they did a movie about.
Doc as "Uncle Chop Chop":
Oz actor Eric Bana:

I've read through your posts and worked out who you are. You and your mate missioned down from the Blueys on the train - then got the bus over. I was pretty impressed by your efforts for young groms. Travelling to score is important in my books, however you get there. A mate overseas recently wrote to me saying:
" bra, you trip me out how dedicated you are with these night driving missions and miles and miles of driving! i guess if there was sick surf way down the coast, i'd be chasing it too..lol much respect for the love of the sport you have braddah.never stop. guys like you are keeping it alive and well!"

You've already got in it in your head and your motivation to travel to score, that will just expand when you get your license. Make sure you check the blog of a bloke on here called Southern Rewards - you won;t be able to get your license soon enough.

This is why what Manny does is so important, sorting trips out in some pretty freakin' rad places for boggers to get on it.

as ATV said on here in a DK thread:
"I urge EVERY aussie BBR to go to at least 1 Cabo Freak Fest or any Freak Fest adventure in there lifetime.I went to the 04 CFF and have been plotting my return ever since"

Manny gets huge respex from other riders, not only for his own crazy ball-tearing ability in the water, but for inspiring people to travel and go to places they may not otherwise have gone to - and making sure there is a crew there to have a good time with, no matter what the conditions. The booger world needs more like him IMO
Surf Rat
doclach

Postby aboard2 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:43 pm

thanks mate

tomorow im heading down to austinmer theres a little reef there and is allot of fun haha
aboard2
Backflippin' like BP

Postby Griff » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Liking MVs new board but he told me he would also be getting a versatile template. Looks like that hasnt happened ay! Good to seem him getting some support from bodyboard companies as he has put so much in, with his trips and work with No Friends and now No6! Top bloke!
Griff
Destroying Slabs like Winny

Postby chuck white » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:13 am

doclach wrote:....... and sometimes a "little birdy" sends a gift - in this case a very sweet picture of Mr. Vargas.... complete with story, from 'somewhere' in the U.S, which goes like this:

Dragged in unconscious from a cement porch, little Manny was made all comfy in the kids room on the pull-out bed. Originally Manny was asleep in the car, however a combination of beer and Mexican food became a semi-lethal mix of human gas emissions and he baled from the car to the porch before his nasal passages melted. Lights out from there and he was dragged in. Not visible in the pic is Ross McBride (still in the fume-filled car).
Visible and in attendance to Manny's every need in his coma is Nelz Vellocido.

:P :D :lol: :D :P :lol:

Thanks to No.6 Bodyboards, Billabong USA wetsuits & apparel, Von Zipper Eyewear, NYBB

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=f ... 1311948353
chuck white
Takin' on the step at Shipsterns

Postby doclach » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Rippy frontpage with news on Manny and his photographic ability:

http://www.riptidemag.com.au/news/21-ne ... ew-gallery
Surf Rat
doclach

Return to Internationals