Hayden 'Goose' Parsons NEW ZEALAND

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Hayden 'Goose' Parsons NEW ZEALAND

Postby doclach » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:16 pm

There has been footage running around vimeo which is some of the best in-barrel boog vid we've seen. For ages a couple of us have wanted to get in contact with this fella to find out more and share the froth. Ben Mackinnon sent me a contact recently of a NZ boog rider to interview. I write very nicely, calling him Nathan and asking about the interview. he writes back and signs the e-mail "Goose". Haha, I couldn't write back fast enough "are you THE Goose?"..

The world is a small place sometimes, especially the boog world, which is a freakin' cool thing.

Normally we head straight into the interview here, but in this case I will ask if you haven't seen any of Goose's footage, go check at least one of these links out. they're listed in the interview later as it flowed, but to get the feel for the man we're talking to, viewing a few of these will add some flavour to the words:

http://vimeo.com/2957921
http://vimeo.com/4774055
http://vimeo.com/4873568

Please welcome New Zealand rider and 'Pit Filmograher' Hayden Parsons:

Doc: Hey Goose,
You’re from the Chilly South Island of NZ. Can you give us a description of the geography there and the types of waves it gives you?

Goose: One word would sum up that entire question. Diverse. A friend from Aussie that came over and stayed a few years back said to me after travelling around the South Island its like he had seen the whole world cause the landscape changes so much. Living here you kind of take it for granted but yea, I guess it is pretty special. Waves are the same. All sorts of waves of all shapes and sizes breaking in water that gets as low as 7 degrees.

Doc: Whereabouts do you ride mostly?

Goose: Haha, most of the Deep South guys will know about my ‘black list’. There are so many spots down here and its taken me quite a few years to realise how average some of them are, so most of the waves have been black listed, leaving just a handful of special waves that I will drop anything for when they decide to break. If someone asks me to go to a spot I’ve blacklisted, even though it might be fun I will say no! Surfing average waves is so frustrating and after surfing them almost everyday I finally realised there are better things to do!

Doc: How would you describe the booger scene in NZ as it stands at the moment?

Goose: Not too flash to be honest. Don’t get me wrong, the NZ tour is sick, held in good waves, decent prizes etc, but the overall skill level is way below what it was in the late 1990’s / early 2000’s. I don’t wanna sound like one of those old timers talking up the old days but it’s true, the current state of Bodyboarding talent in NZ is a worry to me. I could count the groms that have potential and are keen to surf decent waves on one hand! There are some amazing riders from that golden era that are still around from time to time, but it just isn’t a priority for them, so the groms have no one to look up to. Benny Mac is doing a good job of getting the NZ name out there but he’s pushing 50 years old! However I do have faith that all will improve with the hard work of BBSNZ.

Doc: Man, a few of us have been avidly following your helcam footage for longtime. Moments after it hits vimeo we let each other know. BMax sends me an email addy for a bloke Hayden Parsons and you reply signing “Goose” I nearly fell off my chair. And it’s the day after you found the forum. How weird is the world?

Goose: Very weird. I would like to apologise to all the followers out there about the lack of footage lately. I have heaps, and just trying to build it all up and will release something special in the near future!

Doc: You have been using the VOI POV (Point Of View) helmet camera. How do you waterproof the main unit box?

Goose: It is waterproof to a couple of meters but for that extra insurance I got a waterproof bag for it. Does the trick.

Doc: Do you do any extra water proofing on the stick cam itself for takedowns?

Goose: Nup, it’s a solid unit. No worries what so ever.

Doc: You wrote on the forum:
“Yep, you got it, the POV.1 is a sick system but Im looking at changing due to a number of factors to the new Go Pro HD when it comes out. Main reasons being its HD and it has the 170 degree wide angle, and its smaller. Dont get me wrong the POV is sick, but in reality the lens isnt wide enough unless you are super deep, its not HD and its semi-bulky - plus costs 3 times more than the go pro HD! That's my tip for anyone looking to get into it.”

Are you going to use the standard mounting system for the go pro or are you going to sort something custom? I’ve had a look at the current model before and I’m not too sure about the mounting system strength under impact – your thoughts?

Goose: Custom for sure. You should see the system I have for the POV – mounted on a chicks headband! Just gotta think outside the square to mount these things. Ignore what mounts come with it and mount it where you want using whatever you can find.

Doc: Go pro HD shoots:
• 1080P 1980×1080 30 fps @12 Mbps
• 960P 1280×960, 30 fps @ 10 Mbps
• 720P 1280×720, 30 fps @ 7.5 Mbps
• 720P 1280×720, 60 fps @ 15 Mbps
How epic is the slow mo going to be??

Goose: Yea that’s a good selling point for sure. But like I said it’s the HD and the super wide angle that does it. A wide lens is the most important factor I’ve come to learn, that’s why I wanna change.

Doc: Processing: HD is a solid gig and you’re going to have a lot of footage. What editing programme are you intending to use and on what sort of computer specs? Is that different to what you are currently using?

Goose: I just use Final Cut Pro. Any Apple these days should be able to handle HD.

Doc: One of your biggest fans is Rich Robson (one of the mods on the forum here). If you’ve seen the SIC official footage from land – that is Rich, he’s a talented man behind the vid lens. I’ve just rung him and he’s frothed, and managed to get some questions through (Rich and I are the ones that left messages on your vimeo to find us):

Rich: Are you going to change cams before going to Indo? Are you changing your VOI POV?

Goose: Nup, put all my cash into going to Indo. Plus the new Go Pro HD isn’t out yet! Im not sure if I will use POV in Indo cause mounting requires a hood and a wetsuit and I might look a bit out of place!

Rich: You heading to Supertubes for some serious shacktime?

Goose: I’ll take what I can get!

Rich: Some of the barrelcam I’ve seen from you is some of the best in the world Goose. It’s crystal clear. And that’s up against some of the footage in the big movies, MS etc.

Goose: Yea, I work hard to get the perfect image. Having a film background has ensured this. A lot of footage doesn’t make the cut if it isn’t perfect. To be honest the whole time I’ve had it I still haven’t nailed an epic one. Can’t wait til I do!

Rich: What do you prefer in NZ – beaches or river mouths?

Goose: As long as it’s a decent size and pitting then I’m a happy man.

Doc: what mix of Prone and DK are you riding?

Goose:100% prone. Dropknee just ain’t my thing but enjoy watching good dropkneers for sure.

Doc: What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your current faves?

Goose: Always ride NMD’s. Mez has done a lot for me and NZ Bodyboarding over the years so it’s the least I can do. I’ve been riding Ben Players for a few years now and depending on the waves will ride a 41.5 or 42.5.

Doc: What dimensions and core compositions are you finding hot for your riding at the moment?

Goose: Surfing in sea temperatures as low as 7 degrees PE is my only choice! PP in the tropics. I’ve met a lot of Aussies over the years on my travels that ride PE in the tropics. Can’t get my head around that!

Doc: And how about accessories – leash, fins and wetsuits?

Goose: Churchill or Stealth fins. Nice and comfy and do the job. Creatures leashes seem to work the best for me and as for wetsuits I unfortunately wear Rip Curl. Down here you need the best wetsuit money can buy. I would love to support those new Bodyboard wetsuit companies like Void etc but until they start making 5mm wetsuits with built in hoods it’s just not possible!

D.O.B height and weight?
13th April 1981. 5ft 11” and 76kg.

Doc: Fave breaks – local and overseas? (no secret ones)

Goose: Whatever isn’t on the black list! There’s a couple of beachies over here that are incredible and make my heart skip a beat when they are on. I wont name them, but they are the reason I bodyboard. Have found a few new waves recently but haven’t put them to the test enough to decide if they will remain as my favourites or will be black listed! Overseas favourites would be a sick beachie in Mexico that I surfed in 2006 or Cloud 9 which I got to surf in 2007.

Doc: What would be the biggest wave you’ve taken on?

Goose: Got some big days in Mexico, and we definitely get some massive days down here, but having to deal with asthma can kinda limit what I can surf I reckon, especially in winter. But I’d say 6-8ft. I don’t have the desire to surf 12ft slabs. Just wanna surf sick barrels and a wrapping end bowl! I love the challenge of surfing solid waves though.

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave you’ve hit up?

Goose: Just any wave that you are surfing for the first time, especially if its isolated, miles out to sea and sharky! But you quickly learn where it is you need to be to get the good ones and adapt your riding to it. It’s not the waves that make it tough to surf for me, it’s the crowds. I hate crowds so much.

Doc: Do you have a crew you hang with in the water?

Goose: Locally I will just surf by myself, mainly cause I’m super fussy and don’t wanna make other people feel bad if I don’t want to go out. If we go out of town we’ll def get a carload going.

Doc: What’s the maddest roadtrip you’ve been on?

Goose: Too many to name. Any trip that I go on with Dougy Young (NZ big wave surfer) are just nuts (see below). I come home from those trips half dead and with a new appreciation for life! Getting away with the boys is always good times, whether it’s a few hours down the coast or on a tropical island, trips with the fellas is always an epic time!

Doc: Best boat trip?

Goose: Only done one and that was around Lombok in Indo. Good times and is something I’d like to do again. Do jetski trips count? Done plenty of them!

Doc: Who are some of your fave photogs?

Goose: I better say Chris Garden since he is a good mate of mine. He can make any wave look a thousand times better than it actually is and can talk the pants of any female within 100m! His line-ups are the best. Nick Holmes is pumping out some good water images when he isn’t dumpster diving and trying to save the world. Ryan Isherwood is starting to dominate line-ups too. Shit, every time I open a magazine I am blown away by the standard of photography in Bodyboarding. At the moment I’m digging Alex Turoy’s stuff from WA the most.

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

Goose: First was an old Atnus (pink!), then a Body Glove but the slick pealed off when I took it down the street in the snow. Then Morey were the ‘in’ thing. Had a 7-42 and a Mach F1, then Mez customs, had so many of them I lost count. Now I’m riding a mix of customs and Ben Players. The best board I’ve ridden would have to be either the Mach F1 (which was a square tail! – but was so sick) or a custom board that Cam Hirst gifted to me. That board was amazing until I snapped it at Dinner Plates! I gotta get those dimensions off Cam…

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

Goose: Coming from the Deep South of NZ we have all had a run in with Jaws over the years. Travelling for Bodyboarding puts you in some tough and scary situations, but none top the story I’m about to tell you, and yes, it involves Dougy Young.
Doug had a certain bay on NZ’s South West Coast (national park, hours from anywhere) in mind for a while and wanted me to come and film him surfing some monster waves (I was his film guy for a few years and always took my board just incase). Well, the forecast we had been waiting for had finally arrived. Doug had arranged to pick me up on Friday evening and he had a plan that we would drive there through the night, he would jet ski out the fiords, and I would helicopter up the coast to film them surfing the predicted 30ft waves. In typical Dougy fashion he didn’t arrive until Sunday 2am and informed me that he had to be back in his hometown of Christchurch on Monday morning for a flight to Australia. This was an impossible mission but for some reason I said yes! After a $400 petrol stop and a flat ski trailer tyre we arrive at our launching spot after 10 hours (usually a 5 hour trip). I had missed the helicopter so I had to ride on the back of the ski, which after loading them with big wave boards and three extra 40 litre tanks of fuel were already half underwater without the two of us on there! By the time we left it was 1.30pm, and we got lost in the maze of fiords for a bit but found the entrance to the open ocean where it was absolutely massive with a howling headwind. Looking at the map we thought it might take around 30mins to jetski up the coast. 30mins turned into 3 hours of going up and down the biggest lumps of ocean I have ever seen. My back and knees were killing me. At one point we had to go around a massive bombie and ended up so far out to sea and the weather got so bad we couldn’t tell which way land was. To top it off the ski was about to run out of oil and gas! We just picked a line and gunned it and we were so lucky that we ended up exactly where we wanted to be! After all that the surf was fat and only 10ft in this bay so we made our way in through 8ft beachies to refuel on land. Getting back out took ages and we went back to the reef that had waves, Dougy was frothing on getting a wave but a quick time check revealed that it was 4.30pm. We did the math - it gets dark at 6.30pm and it will take us 3 hours to get back, meaning we would be driving on a ski, in open ocean 30ft swells in the pitch black hours from help! We talked Dougy out of it and got out of there was fast as we could, even accidently dropping the extra petrol off the back of the ski, but we didn’t have time to go back and get it. To make matters worse the wind changed to a freezing southerly and made the sea rougher than before! I was so close to just letting go! I had basically given up on life! Seriously! By the time we got to the entrance of the fiord it was pitch black and had to negotiate the last 30mins very carefully but somehow we did it! I kissed the sand that day for sure. After that Doug dropped me home about 1am and he still had another 5 hour drive to get home, pack and get to the airport for his flight at 9am! All that and not one wave was ridden!

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

Goose: Everything! I’m so stoked my life went down this path. It’s determined where I have chosen to live and what sort of job I have! The people I have met through Bodyboarding are some of the most talented, funny and kind people I know. We are one big family and it’s good to know that I could probably ask any bodyboarder in the world for a place to stay or a board to ride and 99% would help out and become a friend for life. I love how bodyboarding takes you to amazing out of the way places and on those rare occasions when all the elements come together its almost like an out of body experience! I think Bodyboarding teaches you how to relax and it teaches you how to be humble. I love how Bodyboarders are just everyday people doing their thing and only surface when the waves do.

Doc: What do you reckon BB needs most at the moment?

Goose: I wish I knew. Something is missing that is stopping it being the incredible sport that we know it is capable of being. Bring back Chopes for a start! More events like the Chile comp and Pipe. Get the SIC off the tour I reckon. It’s a sick event and a sick wave, but just not functional to have on the world tour due to the waiting period. Five or six events in consistent, heavy waves is what is required, with decent cash and the best riders obviously. Having organised the Isolated Challenge events I know that it is no easy task. Keep it simple is my advice. But in reality I’m not too stressed about that sort of stuff anymore. As long as the waves are breaking and I’m able to get out there and have some fun then that’s all that matters really. Maybe we should concentrate more on enjoying our sport rather than trying to turn it into what surfing has become because we may regret it in the future.

Doc: Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

Goose: The usual. Family and friends. Definitely my partner Sophanna for understanding that when the elements combine to produce waves at my favourite spots that I just have to go. She understands that I don’t surf that much anymore and I’m happy to work my arse off and be there for my family if I can drop anything to be out there when it matters! It’s nice to have that support. Just all my mates that have shaped and influenced my life to date. Frew, Aidos, Gardy, Squawker, Bmac – basically the whole Deep South crew.

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?

Goose: Just a local surf store called R&R Sport. Love the winter wetsuit hook ups!

Thanks so much for your time Goose, stoked we’ve hooked up finally

Goose: Yeww.

other links to vids that you might like:
http://vimeo.com/2957921- some bigger pits
http://vimeo.com/4774055 - Fun reef session
http://vimeo.com/4873568 - New angle testing

Da Pics:

1. Solid one down south (photo:Garden)

2. Revo (photo:Arne)

3. Test a new angle (photo:Goose)

4. Alone as usual. (photo: Eddie Saltau)

5. Second favourite wave (photo:Nick Holmes)

6. Solid Cloud 9 (photo:Sam Peters)

7. Pop revo (photo:Garden)

8. The wave that snapped an amazing board (photo:Ryan Isherwood)

9. Up close (photo:Nick Holmes)

10. This shot appeared in Riptide and the footage of this wave is the last wave in this video - http://vimeo.com/2557042 (photo:Garden)

11. Fun one at home. (photo:Nick Holmes)

12. Spinning at Cloud 9 (photo:Madam)

13. Cuttie (photo:Garden)

14. Backdooring reef (photo:Garden)

15. Favourite wave (photo:Garden)

16. Split view using the old setup. (photo:Garden)

17. Seq1. This is the last wave of from this video - http://vimeo.com/2366093 (photo:Garden)

18. Setup - The old school setup. Damn heavy! (photo:Garden)
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Hayden 'Goose' Parsons NEW ZEALAND

Postby Robson » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:20 pm

Great interview fellas, I for one think Hayden is a champion for the sport.
Good footage comes easily when filming talented riders on good waves, what Hayden produces is great footage...above and beyond.
I reckon Mike should commission your abilities!
Rich.
Robson
Pitted in Hollow, Spitting Slabs

Postby Boogs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Sick interview Doc.

Always love seeing footage from the Goose, he gets some great footage. Mad rider too.
41' HBoard - H2
42' NMD - Winny
42' Nomad - Chris James
42' Toys - Aka II
42.5' QCD - Custom
Boogs
Mastering Mutant, Ledging Bombies

Postby doclach » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Goose has just written up the Isolated Challenge History for us. If you want to get more insight into Goose, you really must read this awesome write-up at:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3318

Thanks for the massive effort Goosemeister
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach

Postby miiichael » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm

frothing over his camera footage so much, so so great.
miiichael

Postby brad » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:39 pm

:shock: Those waves are f**king amazing....
brad

Postby Swoodle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 am

Those videos are why I want a GoPro camera! Fully Sick!
RIP my Science 1 board. You will be in my thoughts daily!
Swoodle

Postby Robson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Robson
Pitted in Hollow, Spitting Slabs

Postby miiichael » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:20 pm

nice wave from goose.
miiichael

Postby doclach » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 pm

Spoke to Goose this morning, we're lucky to be seeing any footage at all - luckily he was able to rescue the SD card from the POV. The man has some sneaky barrel footage tucked away for , as he puts it "A rainy day". We'll get to see it sometime, somewhere. Love barrel footage.
Surf Rat
doclach

Postby Swoodle » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:27 am

That was one hollow wave!!! ! ! ! !! ! God that looked SICK!!!
RIP my Science 1 board. You will be in my thoughts daily!
Swoodle

Postby pete » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 am

That just looks like my ideal spot for a fun day out. Perfect
pete

Postby doclach » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Haydo and Gardy are getting a super slick online mag together called "ISO mag". It's with the designers for final stage now and should be online by the end of the month (fingers crossed).
If you want to see the photos that DIDN'T make it to the mag, check these out on FB:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 0817596370
Gonna be sickkkkkk
Surf Rat
doclach

Postby doclach » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Goose's latest on the ever-tidy Vimeo:

Surf Rat
doclach

Postby captain_awesome » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:10 pm

yew, such a nice vid, rides barrels so well
http://joellarwoodphoto.tumblr.com
http://flickr.com/photos/joel_l_photo/

Canon 7D, 70-200mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.8, Canonet QL-19
YongNuo YN460 II Speedlite
captain_awesome

Next