Joe Eslinger USA (California)

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Joe Eslinger USA (California)

Postby doclach » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Joe has been dropping some sick pics in the Dk section lately (Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1802 ) so thought we'd find out a bit more about Mr Eslinger himself:

Doc: Hey Joe,
Welcome to the Riptide Forum. You’ve posted pics of some of your mates (and the rare one of yourself) so thought we better find out more about who your story and who you are. Can you tell us about your local and what the DK scene is like there to start with?

JE: I grew up surfing Oceanside Pier. It’s a pretty tight nitch community with surfers and boogs. Like any typical beach community. The DK scene is on the rise again in Oside. Oside always seems to produce a few riders. And it doesn’t hurt when you have local legend/shaper Jimmy Linville there too.

Doc: The Cali scene has its fair share of booger history orright. It’s a big ask, but could you give us a rundown of the Jack Stance history there?

JE: So much talent on the knee comes out of California. You got the Seaside guys that started it pretty much. Roach, the Meyers and Aaron Bagely. Oh yeah can’t forget Keith, the Godfather. There’s so much history along the coast here, it’s wild. There’s so many DK crews up and down California that you don’t hear about in mags. Underground guys that absolutely kill the knee and get no recognition. Though the scene in the States is a bit stagnant too. I think within the next few years you’ll be seeing more California Dkers making their names internationally and adding to California’s jackstance history.

Doc: What mix of Prone and DK are you riding?

JE: I get in weird spurts where I won’t drop the knee for a bit and just prone. Probably a 60/40 ratio.

Doc: What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your current faves?

JE: I got more prone boards right now but they just sit in the garage. But the board I’ve been riding is this versatile shape I’ve had for a bit. Surprised she’s still alive. I’m not to much of a fan when it comes to rolled noses and penis rocket shape dk boards. Not my thing.

Doc: What dimensions and core compositions are you finding hot for your riding at the moment?

JE: For California I love PP single stringer.

Doc: And how about accessories – leash, fins and wetsuits?

JE: Bluntcut fins, whatever leash is available in my car and Rip Curl suits.

D.O.B height and weight?

March 5,1984. 6 foot and 215lbs. The beer gut helps on the snaps.

Doc: Fave breaks – local and overseas?

JE: Local waves would always be Oceanside, Blacks and some local reefs. I love OTW. She was seriously created for DK. Not much travels in my life.

Doc: What would be the biggest wave you’ve taken on?

JE: This winter swell at Blacks in 07. Some rogue sets creeping 20-25 foot. Had a buddy get caught inside by a set wave. Pretty sure he shook Jesus’ hand.

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave you’ve hit up?

JE: There’s a couple breaks that get thick. Sometimes you think you have a clean line and it will just gargle up and make you kiss the reef.

Doc: Do you have a crew you hang with in the water?

JE: I got my Oceanside crew that I surf with. And friends spread out up and down the coast to surf with too.

Doc: What’s the maddest roadtrip you’ve been on?

JE: One summer in Baja. Straight mayhem with good friends and good waves. Saw a guy fall off a 50 foot cliff onto rocks and survive. Alcohol was the only reason this guy lived.

Doc: Best boat trip?

JE: What’s that? Ha. Not yet.

Doc: Who are some of your fave photogs?

JE: Bryan Pezman, Joshua Shelly, Todd Glaser, Clarke Little, Nic Lugo, Russ Hoover, Carlos Santana, Marty Kooistra and Nick Narant.

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

JE: So many boards. Well over a 100 boards in my life time so far. Your typical Morey collection, BZ, Mantas, Cartels, Stewart boards, JL customs, Ions, and Project. My favourite board was probably this BZ Maligs I got my hands on when I was younger that was only distributed in OZ.

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

JE: Last summer at the wedge in Newport. Got swatted like a kook on a solid wave. Setting up backside on the side wave into the peak. Went to backdoor it and got pitched into the flats. Landed flat on my left ear. The impact cause vertigo. All this going on with 10 foot waves on my head. Swam numerous times to the top but it really was the bottom. Mother oceans gotta put your ass in check and remind you who’s boss.

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

JE: I think its more so the core of the sport. How boogs pioneer new spots etc and get over looked by kooky surf media. Plus I’d say we do it more for the love and art of wave riding instead of us getting a pic drinking a monster holding our board.

Doc: What do you reckon BB needs most at the moment?

JE: To be united. To many douches that never were and never will that keep hating. That’s the main problem here in the states. Or maybe a sun child like Donovan Frakenreiter. Syke.

Doc: Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

JE: All my friends and foes.

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?

JE: No sponsors.

Thanks so much for your time Joe :D

Thank you guys for taking time to listen to my needless rambles!

Da Knizzle pics:

1. Rider: Joe Eslinger Photog: Pezman

2. Rider: Joe Eslinger Photog: Nic Lugo

3. Rider: Joe Eslinger Photog: Marty Koolstra

4. Rider: Joe Eslinger Photog: Greg Nielsen (framie)

5. Rider: Joe Eslinger Photog: Greg Nielsen

6. Rider: Joe Eslinger Photog: Coppola
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Joe Eslinger USA (California)

Postby kc_bodyboard » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:37 pm

LOVE NUMBER TWO, there should be photos like this
Canon 50D, 100-400 L, 50 1.8, Tokina 10-17
www.CaseyRipperPhoto.tumblr.com
Facebook page
kc_bodyboard
Mastering Mutant, Ledging Bombies

Re: Joe Eslinger USA (California)

Postby chuck white » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 am

kc_bodyboard wrote:LOVE NUMBER TWO, there should be photos like this

Yeah, Lugo take some sick shots. Dude rips on the boogie also. He has been racking up the travel miles & stamping the passport for boogie/photos sessions all over.

Digging the wedge shot also
Thanks to No.6 Bodyboards, Billabong USA wetsuits & apparel, Von Zipper Eyewear, NYBB

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=f ... 1311948353
chuck white
Takin' on the step at Shipsterns

Return to Internationals