Walter Sani USA (Orig Cali, now Hawaii)

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Walter Sani USA (Orig Cali, now Hawaii)

Postby doclach » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:43 am

Next cab off the rank is Wally Sani. Many thanks to Wally for his patience, this interview has been sitting in my inbox for nearly 2 weeks until I've had time to upload it here. Thanks man. Love the cruisy Booger attitiude. read on to read about another shredder generally off the radar here, but throwing tail like there's no tomorrow:

Doc: Hey Wally. Whereabouts are you from and what are your local waters these days?

WS: I'm from Oceanside, California. I moved to hawaii recently. These dayz, i've been riding south and North of Oahu.

Doc: What mix of Prone and DK are you riding?

WS: 90%DK 10%prone. I prefer Dropknee, but i gotta go prone once in a while.

Doc: What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your current faves?

WS: I recently got on the morey team so im amped on that. I got my current favorite shape that I've been riding for the past couple years.It works really good for dropknee.

Doc: What dimensions and core compositions are you finding hot for your riding at the moment?

WS: I'm riding a 43inch. Polypro core, double stringer, custom dk template.

Doc: And how about accessories – leash, fins and wetsuits?

WS: I'm rocking bully leashes, wearing Kicks fins, and what ever suit i can come across for good price works for me. but recently i've been trunking it on the island with my new DB trunks.

D.O.B height and weight?

WS: 4/29/1988 Im 6'1. and weight about 195.

Doc: Joe Eslinger tracked you down for us, how do you know Joe and what sort of riding history do you guys have?

WS: Honestly, I met the guy when he was working at taco bell late nite drive thru. I was cruising through and he hooked me up with a taco and said he was a bodyboarder. We've been boys ever since. We surf the pier on the daily.

Doc: One of the pics Joe posted of you has one of the most solid dragon tails I’ve seen in a while, sick curve in the edge and solid water throw with minimal break-up. Where did you learn, or who inspired you, to slash like that?

WS: I learned watching some local rippers on the knee. I would always watch each wave they get and try to come back and do it, but even better. It took time and time. Alot of inspiration was from watching old bb videos. Names like Paul Roach, Aka Lyman, Keith Sasaki, Kyle Maligro. Dedication, practice, and patience helped me to get where i'm at.

Doc: Fave breaks – local and overseas?

WS: Some of my Fav. Breaks local: DMJ's, San Diego Reefs, Seaside, Salt Creek, O'side Pier, and boulevard. Overseas: Puerto rico is underrated.

Doc: What would be the biggest wave you’ve taken on the knee?

WS: Biggest wave I've taken, would be Big Rock a couple years back.A huge swell.

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave you’ve hit up?

WS: Some Heavy spot in San diego.

Doc: Do you have a crew you hang with in the water?

WS: All the boys at Opl (oside pier locals) Dbk (dedicated bodyboarding krue) and DMJ's crew..You know who! Always Holding it down.

Doc: What’s the maddest roadtrip you’ve been on?

WS: Definitly with the DKBOYZ! We took a roadtrip to Northern california. We got good waves and camping in the middle of nowhere. what a journey!

Doc: Best boat trip?

WS: I havn't been on a boat trip yet.

Doc: Who are some of your fave photogs?

WS: Jerrod harris, James Dawson, Beppu, Danny Black. John Idano.

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

WS: J.L Designs. Custom Dk shape! My favorite ride of all time, was my old szabad 42dk Sickest shape.

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

WS: Being out in the water in Big sur, California. super merky waters with elephant seals all around.

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

WS: How Bodyboarding is a underground sport. I've met the realist people in the sport. All spongers stick together. Bodyboarding is one of the elements in my life.

Doc: What do you reckon BB needs most at the moment?

WS: More female bodyboarders, more publicity, and more food sponsors.

Doc: Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

WS: My Family, and friends. And dropper from felony fights!

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?

WS: Morey Bodyboards, DB apparel, Bully's Leashes.

Thanks so much for your time Wally

Knizzle pics:

Rider: Walter Sani Pic: Allen

Rider: Walter Sani Pic: Brian Pelton

Rider: Walter Sani Pic: Grodzen

Rider: Walter Sani Pic: Brian Peton

Pic: Seadog
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Return to Internationals