Daniel Worsley (SA)

Learn more about our international bodyboarding community; riders, waves and news.

Moderators: meaksy, miiichael, doclach, riptideslave

Daniel Worsley (SA)

Postby doclach » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:27 am

Dan Worsley just went through one of tightest runs of the Brett young Memorial Trials in the events history to come out victorious and qualify into the main event, the Fluidzone Shark Island Challenge. Dan has taken some time out to give us a heads up on where he's at:

Doc: Hey Dan, that was a hard-fought win for you on Sunday at the trials, what was going through your mind in the final?

DW: Yeah man, it was super tough! I was watching all the heats and all the guys that were in the final were surfing so well all day! Tom was surfing really cleanly and consistently, Shaun was absolutely killing all his heats, and Sam was also surfing really well, so I knew it would be so hard! It also wasn’t like a normal final, because usually I would be happy with making a final, but this one was like any other heat in the way you still had to finish first or second. Was really nerve racking!

Doc: Kruger and Spex were your only cheer team (and me giving you some hoots on your good waves over the mike) in a Point filled with local crew – did you feel like a bit of an underdog?

DW: Ha ha, thanks for the hoots on the mike, I needed it. I definitely felt like an underdog! But at the same time I am pretty much an underdog. Most of the people who were there didn’t know who I was so hopefully there’s a little something to remember me by lol.

Doc: A lot of people don’t know you qualified for the SIC through the trials in 2006, what are your hopes for the 2010 competition?

DW: In 2006 I messed up badly! I wasn’t mentally ready for the comp. I didn’t know how to ride the wave, I was still young and was so shocked just to be in the actual comp I didn’t concentrate on my heat at all. I’m sure this time round will be different. I’m feeling really confident about this event so it should be fun.

Doc: You’ve been on fire this year, winning the DK division of the QAB pro. Your competition history stretches back a fair way, at least 8 years that I can see. When did you start competitive bodyboarding and what motivated you to go there from just free surfing?

DW: I started competition surfing in 2000 in South Africa. At first I did it because all my friends did, but then I started doing well and I couldn’t get enough of it. I find contest surfing improves your riding. You learn so much, so I guess it’s good to do it.

Doc: Your home break is Cape Town, the second largest city in South Africa, what are the breaks like there?

DW: Second largest city? Wow, didn’t know that, ha ha! Cape Town has INCREDIBLE waves! Absolutely amazing and uncrowded waves! 

Doc: You’re in Australia for a while – how much of the Oz tour are you intending chasing?

DW: I will do as many as I can. The competitive scene around here is really fun and the guy’s are also easy to get along with which makes is awesome.

Doc: what mix of Prone and DK are you riding?

DW: I’m not to sure about that one. I use to ride quite a bit of DK, but stopped about 3years ago. I love DK, It’s amazing! But I would say at the moment I am probably about 95% prone and 5% DK.

Doc: What boards are you running in your current quiver and what are your current faves?

DW: I’m riding the Turbo “Botha” model. It’s an awesome board! Definitely the best board I’ve ridden! Most people that have tried this board say the same thing.

Doc: What dimensions and core compositions are you finding hot for your riding at the moment?

DW: I’ve always liked PE cores on my board! The flexier the board for me the better! I ride a 41inch with a crescent tail. It seems to be going well for me so no need to change.

Doc: And how about accessories – leash, fins and wetsuits?

DW: I’m currently using a Zion wetsuit, which is so sick! Coming from Cape Town where the water is FREEZING!! I tend to go through a lot of wetsuits and the one I’m using now is so good! I just kind of swap around with the rest of my accessories.

D.O.B height and weight?

DW: I was born on 16/05/1986.
I’m 173cm and weigh 67KG’s.

Doc: Fave breaks – local and overseas?

DW: West Coast of Cape Town for sure! So many good waves there!

Doc: What would be the biggest wave you’ve taken on?

DW: I recall one in Hawaii in 2005/2006 season, and I got closed out, but got away luckily.

Doc: And what’s the toughest wave you’ve hit up?

DW: Shark Island is one of the toughest waves to read I’d say, but I think I’m getting the hand of it now. Well I hope so anyway.

Doc: Do you have a crew you hang with in the water?

DW: Yeah! Over here I’ve been cruising with my South African crew Mark Watts, Specker, Kruger and Jerry (when he’s not travelling), but back home I surf with friends such as Rob, Ian, Dom, Deon, Mich, Potts, Damon, Shmo, Pik, Ruan, Si guy, Saunders, and a bunch of other mates. Matt Young was so kind to let me hang with him down south for a while where we scored some sick waves!

Doc: What’s the maddest roadtrip you’ve been on?

DW: There’s been so many and I wouldn’t be able to say which one was the best. They’re all amazing! Especially back home with all my good friends! It’s epic!

Doc: Best boat trip?

DW: I’m from South Africa; our currency is Rands so boat trips are out of the question for me, ha ha!

Doc: Who are some of your fave photogs? ( I hope you mention Damo, seeing as he was good enough to send me the pics for your interview, haha)

DW: Yeah Damo of coarse!! He rocks! He’s always keen and up for a mission which is all that counts! Spex is also a favourite of mine; Lets not forget Cobus Bosman, Mark Clarke and Neels Smit (videographer).
I haven’t been on a proper photo shoot since I’ve been here, so if anyone is keen give me a shout, haha!

Doc: Board history – any chance you can remember and name the boards you have had under you over time? Fave ride ever of all of them?

DW: Wow, well my first board was the CustomX X-Ray, the old Morey Pro Comp was an old classic I rode, and the Rossi boards I rode were also pretty dam cool!

Doc: Scariest moment on the boog?

DW: Would have to say coming from Cape Town, the scariest moment on the boog would not be of some massive wave like everyone else, but more like a massive shark! I’ve seen a good couple but there was this one time when I was surfing one my own and a massive Great White swam passed about 10metres away from me, and there was a lull in the sets and I had to paddle to shore without being able to catch a wave. Was definitely the scariest situation I have been in!

Doc: What do you love most about the BB culture?

DW: I love the BB culture because it’s so laid back, and everyone is super chilled.
Everybody is on the same mission and that’s to go travel and find the best waves possible and make some friends on the way. It’s awesome!

Doc: What do you reckon BB scene in South Africa needs most at the moment?

DW: The BB scene is SA is really good! The riding there is at a really high standard! Especially the competition riding! It’s so tough there! Everyone’s so hungry to win! It’s just a shame our currency is so bad because it make’s it so difficult to travel. If it weren’t, there would definitely be some more SA riders doing really well on the world tour!

Doc: Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

DW: I’d like to give a shout out to Turbo for hooking me up with boards, and Zion for hooking me up with wetsuits. To Kruger and Lisa for putting me up at there place, they know how to help a brother out, and of coarse to my parents and friends and to you for this interview. Thanks man.

Doc: And finally who are your sponsors?

DW: Turbo Bodyboards
Zion Wetsuits

Thanks so much for your time Dan

1. Rider: Daniel Worsley Photog: Damon Crawford

2. Daniel Worsley Photog: Damon Crawford

3. Daniel Worsley Photog: Damon Crawford

4. Rider: Daniel Worsley Photg: NB Photo

5. Daniel Worsley Photog: Damon Crawford

6. Daniel Worsley Photog: Damon Crawford

7. I only have a small image of this, but check-out the set-up!
Rider: Daniel Worsley Photog Mark Clark
Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Re: Daniel Worsley (SA)

Postby adam.s » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 pm

That last photo looks insane!
Is that a rather large rock ledge sitting rather close to the take off? Haha!
adam.s
Mastering Mutant, Ledging Bombies

Re: Daniel Worsley (SA)

Postby doclach » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:44 pm

rider: Dan Worsley Photog: Rich Robson

Surf Rat
If you want to see the latest posts in the forum quickly and easily, click 'view active topics' at the top of the forum in this list • View new posts • View active topics
doclach
Acid Drop into Shallow, Intense Razor Reef Barrels with Ease

Return to Internationals