Please meet a man who is going places on the knee. Justin Welsh. He's been carving up waves in Vicco for years and has been spreading his DK-wings into other parts of Oz on a regular basis. Keep you ears and eyes open, you will be seeing and hearing more of this tearer.
Interview By Doc and Dane:
1. What is your name? (of course we know but want to spell it correctly)
Justin Welsh (not Judis or Welch or Welsch)
3. Weight and height
4. Where are you based?
O.G (Ocean Grove) Victoria
5. “What board(s) are you riding currently? Including core type and dimensions you are happy to give.
DKS board, my oz special- green and gold! (shaped by Glenn Taylor, best board to date!) 42 5/8', 10,3/8" nose, wide pt 20, width 21.5", tail 18.5" just to be specific! PP all the way!
6. What’s your riding history – When, how and why did you start DK, how many years have you been riding for, which riders have influenced you most (additional to our DK ‘Statesmen’)?
I grew up proning a lot with my good mate Mike Field, He pretty much pushed me in the early days to get up! Also got me into the old cali vids where I found my fave pro rider Phil Harnsberger.
Started full time DK at 18, because it was something different. A local dude Riedy was pretty much the only guy I knew giving DK a nudge in Vicco back then. After getting outside the small BB community in Vicco the main guys who've influenced me would be Grant Maloney, Dane Pope, Jake Sharpe, damn all the crew from DKS comps! Good times! so many rippers!
7. What boards have you had, what has been your favourite and why do you ride the unit you have now?
sooo many!! highlights would be
- '01 BSD ballard
- Elemenohpee AKA
- Elemenohpee Lackstar
- Custom- 3 stringer PP mesh thick slick & core! machine! (love rigid boards)
- DKS - Xmas special (red & green, ho ho ho)
8.Fins – how crucial are they to your riding? which ones have you tried, which fins do you use and what do you think of them?
Not vital, good to have a comfy solid fin and you can adjust to anything. Bring back Redleys!!!!!
Dont mind the pod 2's and vipers!
9. What do you see as the premier DK event in 2009?
Three letters D. K. S... nothing will come close!
10. Some say the annual DK trip in the mags has gone a bit stale, what needs to happen for DK to catch the eye and progress?
The mags have just gotta let go of the same riders/photogs and maybe mix it up with grommets and underground crew. I've seen plenty of quality shots from the underground knocked back just cos their not pro! The east cost chopper shoot was a positive step in riptide, but they need to give it more of a go! - how good was that shot of Jake Sharpe doing a massive hack! sick turn, sick angle.
But its still the same crew issue after issue... I think it’s the media ultimately holding the new generation back.
11. Thoughts on the current DK world tour? Is it a positive start or a crock?
Crock, it's hardly a tour is it??? just a sideshow to the "main event". Needs to be almost separate.
Bud won 3 straight... and no one even knows!!!!
12. Favourite Waves and why they’re faves?
Plenty of reefs and beachy setups down the coast in vicco... everyone underestimates vicco... theres more to it than the fat beachies and so called "reefs" in Torquay! But sssshhhhh! it's our little secret!
13. Stamps in the passport and future travel plans.
Been saving pennies for a big world trip, but previously;
Been all over OZ past few years with comps and little trips, can't sit still!
Int'; NZ, US, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, Tonga, Indo.
Maybe Japan end of this year.
14. Ultimate surf trip - who would you take on your ultimate DK trip and where would you go?
All the DKS crew (legends!!!), Indo boat trip, Samoa or somewhere unknown to crowds!
15. Is a road trip more about the waves or the adventure (car breakdowns, getting lost, bitten by insects, putting up with your ‘kook’ mates ..) ?
The adventure for sure! Oh so many trips with no waves! South Coast has been the killer for me! gotta love the hume hwy! Gundagai maccas!
16. What goes through your mind when you have chased down and checked a break for months and finally one day you rock up and it’s epic?
Lately I'd say "This is not vicco!".... been chasing one reef for about 6 months now! we'll get it one day!
17. Biggest wipeout so far.
One the other week springs to mind... pinned down after being wrapped in my leash... almost freakin drowned myself on a 4 ft wedge beachy!
18. Fave photographer(s)
Sammy Burrell, (local photog mate) does some damn good landscape... hanging for his underwater style!
19. Any tips for proners thinking of getting into DK?
As Pharaoh Monch once said "Simon says get the f$%k up!"
20. Your future aspirations?
Looking to move up north later this year to give the goldy a nudge. Try n hang out and feed off the Goldy crew like Popey and Lackey.
21. Who would you like to thank for supporting you?
Definitely the main man himself Clayton Pickworth & DKS! (http://www.dksessions.com
) everyone who has supported me/ written me off so I'd push myself, everyone who has put me up with accom in all my DK adventures!
And of course my mum for funding a lot of it back in the day!
A. Rider: Justin Welsh Photog: Sam Burrel
B. Rider: Justin Welsh Photog: Sam Burrel
C. Rider: Justin Welsh Photog: Steve Arklay
D. Rider: Justin Welsh Photog: Steve Arklay